From: vallor@cultnix.org (vallor)
Newsgroups: sci.crypt
Subject: Naive PRNG encryption?
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2024 10:41:41 -0000 (UTC)
XL'`91kd%N::LG:=*\35JS0prp\VJN^<s"b#bff@fA7]5lJA.jn,x_d%Md$,{.EZ
 by: vallor - Sat, 3 Aug 2024 10:41 UTC

I saw someone mention this on another 'froup, and I've thought about it
myself. Is it really "uncrackable"?

Take a plaintext and transform each character with the output
of a PRNG, with the seed being the key.

How easy is it to crack the resulting "ciphertext"?

--
-v

Re: Naive PRNG encryption?

<v8lu0b$3it4o$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.octade.net/USENET/article-flat.php?id=551&group=sci.crypt#551

From: chris.m.thomasson.1@gmail.com (Chris M. Thomasson)
Newsgroups: sci.crypt
Subject: Re: Naive PRNG encryption?
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2024 11:47:38 -0700
 by: Chris M. Thomasson - Sat, 3 Aug 2024 18:47 UTC

On 8/3/2024 3:41 AM, vallor wrote:
> I saw someone mention this on another 'froup, and I've thought about it
> myself. Is it really "uncrackable"?
>
> Take a plaintext and transform each character with the output
> of a PRNG, with the seed being the key.
>
> How easy is it to crack the resulting "ciphertext"?

Depends on the quality of the PRNG. You would probably want to use a
CSPRNG...

Re: Naive PRNG encryption?

<v8m294$3jnbf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.octade.net/USENET/article-flat.php?id=552&group=sci.crypt#552

From: rich@example.invalid (Rich)
Newsgroups: sci.crypt
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2024 20:00:36 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Rich - Sat, 3 Aug 2024 20:00 UTC

vallor <vallor@cultnix.org> wrote:
> I saw someone mention this on another 'froup, and I've thought about it
> myself. Is it really "uncrackable"?
>
> Take a plaintext and transform each character with the output
> of a PRNG, with the seed being the key.

https://web.pa.msu.edu/reference/pgpdoc1.html

When I was in college in the early seventies, I devised what I
believed was a brilliant encryption scheme. A simple pseudorandom
number stream was added to the plaintext stream to create
ciphertext. This would seemingly thwart any frequency analysis of
the ciphertext, and would be uncrackable even to the most
resourceful Government intelligence agencies. I felt so smug about
my achievement. So cock-sure.

Years later, I discovered this same scheme in several introductory
cryptography texts and tutorial papers. How nice. Other
cryptographers had thought of the same scheme. Unfortunately, the
scheme was presented as a simple homework assignment on how to use
elementary cryptanalytic techniques to trivially crack it. So much for
my brilliant scheme.

USENET / sci.crypt / Naive PRNG encryption?

1

rocksolid light 0.9.152
clearnet tor