From: ss32@gmx.de (Stefan Schmitz)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Subject: empty and one-word lines in quoting
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2024 16:59:00 +0200
 by: Stefan Schmitz - Mon, 24 Jun 2024 14:59 UTC

This rocksolid user often has empty lines and lines with one single word
in his quotings.

<7505e30e02df74522b84eabd3550801b@pi-dach.dorfdsl.de>

I have tried the reply und quote buttons on the posts he answered in
several cases to reproduce this behaviour. Mostly I see a totally normal
quoting.
But when replying to <desd.20240616140927.497@scatha.ancalagon.de>
I also get the empty line (next line normal again).

It seems that lines with a certain length produce an extra line break
when quoted.

Re: empty and one-word lines in quoting

<cac711c657fe3809862820441525001a@www.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://news.octade.net/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=551&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#551

From: retroguy@novabbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Subject: Re: empty and one-word lines in quoting
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2024 16:13:14 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Mon, 24 Jun 2024 16:13 UTC

Stefan Schmitz wrote:

> This rocksolid user often has empty lines and lines with one single
> word
>
> in his quotings.

> <7505e30e02df74522b84eabd3550801b@pi-dach.dorfdsl.de>

> I have tried the reply und quote buttons on the posts he answered in
> several cases to reproduce this behaviour. Mostly I see a totally
> normal
>
> quoting.
> But when replying to <desd.20240616140927.497@scatha.ancalagon.de>
> I also get the empty line (next line normal again).

> It seems that lines with a certain length produce an extra line break
> when quoted.

I'm seeing two blank lines (which is not necessary) when clicking Quote
on the article you provided, and the article Marco provided. Are there
more that two?

Just so I can understand, is it when someone hits 'Quote', or is it the
resulting message after sending the quoted message?

--
Retro Guy

Re: empty and one-word lines in quoting

<90a6a33f9d809efb7345fe01414dbcea$1@invalid.invalid>

  copy mid

https://news.octade.net/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=552&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#552

From: retroguy@novabbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2024 09:45:06 -0700
 by: Retro Guy - Mon, 24 Jun 2024 16:45 UTC

On Mon, 24 Jun 2024 16:13:14 +0000, Retro Guy wrote:

> Stefan Schmitz wrote:
>
>> This rocksolid user often has empty lines and lines with one single
>> word
>>
>> in his quotings.
>
>> <7505e30e02df74522b84eabd3550801b@pi-dach.dorfdsl.de>
>
>> I have tried the reply und quote buttons on the posts he answered in
>> several cases to reproduce this behaviour. Mostly I see a totally
>> normal
>>
>> quoting.
>> But when replying to <desd.20240616140927.497@scatha.ancalagon.de>
>> I also get the empty line (next line normal again).
>
>> It seems that lines with a certain length produce an extra line break
>> when quoted.
>
> I'm seeing two blank lines (which is not necessary) when clicking Quote
> on the article you provided, and the article Marco provided. Are there
> more that two?
>
> Just so I can understand, is it when someone hits 'Quote', or is it the
> resulting message after sending the quoted message?

Oh, I think I get it now...

So:
> Cum-Ex ist auch ein solch delikater Begriff.
> Musjöh Olearius (sic), unser Schlappenschammes bei WARBURG muß das
> jetzt
>
> ausbaden und sich schon mal die Migräne genommen.
Führte die zur Feststellung seiner dauerhaften Verhandlungsunfähigkeit?

"jetzt" is wrapped, then there is a blank line.

It should be wrapped, but there should not be a blank line.

Do I understand correctly?

If so, I'll get to work on that tomorrow. I don't believe it should be too
difficult to fix.

Re: empty and one-word lines in quoting

<v5ccme$1254s$1@ss32.dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.octade.net/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=553&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#553

From: ss32@gmx.de (Stefan Schmitz)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2024 20:04:33 +0200
 by: Stefan Schmitz - Mon, 24 Jun 2024 18:04 UTC

Am 24.06.2024 um 18:45 schrieb Retro Guy:
> On Mon, 24 Jun 2024 16:13:14 +0000, Retro Guy wrote:
>
>> Stefan Schmitz wrote:
>>
>>> This rocksolid user often has empty lines and lines with one single
>>> word
>>>
>>> in his quotings.
>>
>>> <7505e30e02df74522b84eabd3550801b@pi-dach.dorfdsl.de>
>>
>>> I have tried the reply und quote buttons on the posts he answered in
>>> several cases to reproduce this behaviour. Mostly I see a totally
>>> normal
>>>
>>> quoting.
>>> But when replying to <desd.20240616140927.497@scatha.ancalagon.de>
>>> I also get the empty line (next line normal again).
>>
>>> It seems that lines with a certain length produce an extra line break
>>> when quoted.
>>
>> I'm seeing two blank lines (which is not necessary) when clicking Quote
>> on the article you provided, and the article Marco provided. Are there
>> more that two?
>>
>> Just so I can understand, is it when someone hits 'Quote', or is it the
>> resulting message after sending the quoted message?
>
> Oh, I think I get it now...
>
> So:
>> Cum-Ex ist auch ein solch delikater Begriff.
>> Musjöh Olearius (sic), unser Schlappenschammes bei WARBURG muß das
>> jetzt
>>
>> ausbaden und sich schon mal die Migräne genommen.
> Führte die zur Feststellung seiner dauerhaften Verhandlungsunfähigkeit?
>
> "jetzt" is wrapped, then there is a blank line.
>
> It should be wrapped, but there should not be a blank line.
>
> Do I understand correctly?

Wrapping should happen before "jetzt", but not again after that word.
The line should be "jetzt ausbaden und sich schon mal die Migräne genommen."
There are several cases of lines with a single word followed by a normal
line. e.g.
https://dorfdsl.de/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=2154&group=de.etc.sprache.deutsch#2154

The funny thing is that this kind of quoting seems to appear only to
this user. When I hit "Quote", there are no one-word lines. The same is
true for most cases of a blank line. When he hits "Quote", there comes a
blank line - but not when I do so.

This posting is a special case: I get the blank line, but not the single
word.
For me the quoting shows as following:
> Cum-Ex ist auch ein solch delikater Begriff.
> Musjöh Olearius (sic), unser Schlappenschammes bei WARBURG muß das jetzt
>
> ausbaden und sich schon mal die Migräne genommen.

Now when I copied the text, I see the line ending with "jetzt" is too
long. Probably that's the reason for the one-word line. Are you wrapping
the text shown after "Quote" in a different way than in posted messages?

> If so, I'll get to work on that tomorrow. I don't believe it should be too
> difficult to fix.

Re: empty and one-word lines in quoting

<e2e92b9b550a209013824aafe4c20a06$1@invalid.invalid>

  copy mid

https://news.octade.net/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=555&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#555

From: retroguy@novabbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2024 11:27:01 -0700
 by: Retro Guy - Mon, 24 Jun 2024 18:27 UTC

On Mon, 24 Jun 2024 20:04:33 +0200, Stefan Schmitz wrote:

> Am 24.06.2024 um 18:45 schrieb Retro Guy:

>>> I'm seeing two blank lines (which is not necessary) when clicking Quote
>>> on the article you provided, and the article Marco provided. Are there
>>> more that two?
>>>
>>> Just so I can understand, is it when someone hits 'Quote', or is it the
>>> resulting message after sending the quoted message?
>>
>> Oh, I think I get it now...
>>
>> So:
>>> Cum-Ex ist auch ein solch delikater Begriff.
>>> Musjöh Olearius (sic), unser Schlappenschammes bei WARBURG muß das
>>> jetzt
>>>
>>> ausbaden und sich schon mal die Migräne genommen.
>> Führte die zur Feststellung seiner dauerhaften Verhandlungsunfähigkeit?
>>
>> "jetzt" is wrapped, then there is a blank line.
>>
>> It should be wrapped, but there should not be a blank line.
>>
>> Do I understand correctly?
>
> Wrapping should happen before "jetzt", but not again after that word.
> The line should be "jetzt ausbaden und sich schon mal die Migräne genommen."
> There are several cases of lines with a single word followed by a normal
> line. e.g.
> https://dorfdsl.de/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=2154&group=de.etc.sprache.deutsch#2154
>
> The funny thing is that this kind of quoting seems to appear only to
> this user. When I hit "Quote", there are no one-word lines. The same is
> true for most cases of a blank line. When he hits "Quote", there comes a
> blank line - but not when I do so.
>
> This posting is a special case: I get the blank line, but not the single
> word.
> For me the quoting shows as following:
> > Cum-Ex ist auch ein solch delikater Begriff.
> > Musjöh Olearius (sic), unser Schlappenschammes bei WARBURG muß das jetzt
> >
> > ausbaden und sich schon mal die Migräne genommen.
>

> Now when I copied the text, I see the line ending with "jetzt" is too
> long. Probably that's the reason for the one-word line. Are you wrapping
> the text shown after "Quote" in a different way than in posted messages?

Ok, I just tested it, and duplicated the issue. It's once it's posted. That
means that wrapping when posting is messing it up.

I use the same php function to wrap text for quoting and posting, but the
line is one character longer when posted due to '>', so it wrapped, and
there is now a blank line.

I need to look at the function to see why it's adding a linefeed.

Re: empty and one-word lines in quoting

<27f40c9007b3f542cdad0e91e3d56ef6$1@invalid.invalid>

  copy mid

https://news.octade.net/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=557&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#557

From: retroguy@novabbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2024 12:10:24 -0700
 by: Retro Guy - Mon, 24 Jun 2024 19:10 UTC

On Mon, 24 Jun 2024 11:27:01 -0700, Retro Guy wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Jun 2024 20:04:33 +0200, Stefan Schmitz wrote:

>>> Oh, I think I get it now...
>>>
>>> So:

>>> Führte die zur Feststellung seiner dauerhaften Verhandlungsunfähigkeit?
>>>
>>> "jetzt" is wrapped, then there is a blank line.
>>>
>>> It should be wrapped, but there should not be a blank line.
>>>
>>> Do I understand correctly?
>>
>> Wrapping should happen before "jetzt", but not again after that word.
>> The line should be "jetzt ausbaden und sich schon mal die Migräne genommen."
>> There are several cases of lines with a single word followed by a normal
>> line. e.g.
>> https://dorfdsl.de/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=2154&group=de.etc.sprache.deutsch#2154
>>
>> The funny thing is that this kind of quoting seems to appear only to
>> this user. When I hit "Quote", there are no one-word lines. The same is
>> true for most cases of a blank line. When he hits "Quote", there comes a
>> blank line - but not when I do so.
>>
>> This posting is a special case: I get the blank line, but not the single
>> word.
>> For me the quoting shows as following:
>> > Cum-Ex ist auch ein solch delikater Begriff.
>> > Musjöh Olearius (sic), unser Schlappenschammes bei WARBURG muß das jetzt
>> >
>> > ausbaden und sich schon mal die Migräne genommen.
>>

>> Now when I copied the text, I see the line ending with "jetzt" is too
>> long. Probably that's the reason for the one-word line. Are you wrapping
>> the text shown after "Quote" in a different way than in posted messages?
>
> Ok, I just tested it, and duplicated the issue. It's once it's posted. That
> means that wrapping when posting is messing it up.
>
> I use the same php function to wrap text for quoting and posting, but the
> line is one character longer when posted due to '>', so it wrapped, and
> there is now a blank line.
>
> I need to look at the function to see why it's adding a linefeed.

I think I fixed it (see test thread here). It wraps the last word but does
not add a blank line.

Combining the last word with the next line is a much bigger task that I'm
not going to take on right now (eventually), but it MIGHT be fixed.

Re: empty and one-word lines in quoting

<3c96ee2fe991fd6fe5a97654abb7a2d3@www.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://news.octade.net/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=572&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#572

From: retroguy@novabbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2024 08:12:55 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Sat, 29 Jun 2024 08:12 UTC

Stefan Schmitz wrote:

> Am 24.06.2024 um 21:10 schrieb Retro Guy:

>> I think I fixed it (see test thread here). It wraps the last word but
>> does
>> not add a blank line.

> Thanks for this fix.

>> Combining the last word with the next line is a much bigger task that
>> I'm
>> not going to take on right now (eventually), but it MIGHT be fixed.

> There is another issue that would probably be easier to solve.
> Blank lines of the quoted posting are not marked as quoted in the reply.
> It would look better if all lines of the quoted posting start with ">".

I think I may have caused that with the above fix. I'll take a look...

--
Retro Guy

Re: empty and one-word lines in quoting

<995c20f85fe3097e3b74de48d3f19a84@example.com>

  copy mid

https://news.octade.net/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=573&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#573

From: retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2024 08:34:42 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Sat, 29 Jun 2024 08:34 UTC

Stefan Schmitz wrote:

> Am 24.06.2024 um 21:10 schrieb Retro Guy:
>
>> I think I fixed it (see test thread here). It wraps the last word but
>> does
>> not add a blank line.
>
> Thanks for this fix.
>
>> Combining the last word with the next line is a much bigger task that
>> I'm
>> not going to take on right now (eventually), but it MIGHT be fixed.
>
> There is another issue that would probably be easier to solve.
> Blank lines of the quoted posting are not marked as quoted in the reply.
> It would look better if all lines of the quoted posting start with ">".

How does this look? I did some testing and the depth (number of '>>') in
quoted blank lines is maintained:

-------------------
Retro Guy wrote:

> Retro Guy wrote:
>
>> Here I am creating
>>
>> Line 3 some articles with blank lines
>> Line 4 to quote and test with
>>
>> Line 6 is the sixth line
>>
>> Line 8
>>
> REPLY to depth ONE article
>
> test

REPLY to depth TWO article

TEST 2
-----------------

--
Retro Guy

Re: empty and one-word lines in quoting

<v5oi21$3r5lo$5@ss32.dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.octade.net/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=574&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#574

From: ss32@gmx.de (Stefan Schmitz)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2024 10:53:09 +0200
 by: Stefan Schmitz - Sat, 29 Jun 2024 08:53 UTC

Am 29.06.2024 um 10:34 schrieb Retro Guy:
> Stefan Schmitz wrote:
>
>> Am 24.06.2024 um 21:10 schrieb Retro Guy:
>>
>>> I think I fixed it (see test thread here). It wraps the last word but
>>> does
>>> not add a blank line.
>>
>> Thanks for this fix.
>>
>>> Combining the last word with the next line is a much bigger task that
>>> I'm
>>> not going to take on right now (eventually), but it MIGHT be fixed.
>>
>> There is another issue that would probably be easier to solve.
>> Blank lines of the quoted posting are not marked as quoted in the reply.
>> It would look better if all lines of the quoted posting start with ">".
>
> How does this look? I did some testing and the depth (number of '>>') in
> quoted blank lines is maintained:
>
> -------------------
> Retro Guy wrote:
>
>> Retro Guy wrote:
>>
>>> Here I am creating
>>>
>>> Line 3 some articles with blank lines
>>> Line 4 to quote and test with
>>>
>>> Line 6 is the sixth line
>>>
>>> Line 8
>>>
>> REPLY to depth ONE article
>>
>> test
>>

> REPLY to depth TWO article
>
> TEST 2
> -----------------

Have you entered manually a blank line after "Line 8" and "test"? If
not, there is one quoted blank line too much at the end of each quoting.

Re: empty and one-word lines in quoting

<5302ac5d6aff8c5e7d60254286cd37f4@example.com>

  copy mid

https://news.octade.net/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=575&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#575

From: retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2024 09:44:30 +0000
References: <v5c1jr$tl04$7@ss32.dont-email.me> <cac711c657fe3809862820441525001a@www.novabbs.org> <90a6a33f9d809efb7345fe01414dbcea$1@invalid.invalid> <v5ccme$1254s$1@ss32.dont-email.me> <e2e92b9b550a209013824aafe4c20a06$1@invalid.invalid> <27f40c9007b3f542cdad0e91e3d56ef6$1@invalid.invalid> <v5obbn$3po34$2@ss32.dont-email.me> <995c20f85fe3097e3b74de48d3f19a84@example.com> <v5oi21$3r5lo$5@ss32.dont-email.me>
 by: Retro Guy - Sat, 29 Jun 2024 09:44 UTC

Stefan Schmitz wrote:

> Am 29.06.2024 um 10:34 schrieb Retro Guy:
>> Stefan Schmitz wrote:

>>> Thanks for this fix.

>>> There is another issue that would probably be easier to solve.
>>> Blank lines of the quoted posting are not marked as quoted in the reply.
>>> It would look better if all lines of the quoted posting start with ">".
>>
>> How does this look? I did some testing and the depth (number of '>>') in
>> quoted blank lines is maintained:
>>
>> -------------------
>> Retro Guy wrote:

>>> REPLY to depth ONE article
>>>
>>> test
>>>

>> REPLY to depth TWO article
>>
>> TEST 2
>> -----------------
>
> Have you entered manually a blank line after "Line 8" and "test"? If
> not, there is one quoted blank line too much at the end of each quoting.

Thank you. I'll continue to work on this. I have removed the last blank
line being quoted, but still seeing it on some articles. Also with or
without sig makes a difference.

I will continue on this, thank you for the feedback!

--
Retro Guy

Re: empty and one-word lines in quoting

<efb1d1e44c35e1b123e3628983880593@example.com>

  copy mid

https://news.octade.net/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=576&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#576

From: retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2024 13:21:07 +0000
References: <v5c1jr$tl04$7@ss32.dont-email.me> <cac711c657fe3809862820441525001a@www.novabbs.org> <90a6a33f9d809efb7345fe01414dbcea$1@invalid.invalid> <v5ccme$1254s$1@ss32.dont-email.me> <e2e92b9b550a209013824aafe4c20a06$1@invalid.invalid> <27f40c9007b3f542cdad0e91e3d56ef6$1@invalid.invalid> <v5obbn$3po34$2@ss32.dont-email.me> <995c20f85fe3097e3b74de48d3f19a84@example.com> <v5oi21$3r5lo$5@ss32.dont-email.me> <5302ac5d6aff8c5e7d60254286cd37f4@example.com>
 by: Retro Guy - Sat, 29 Jun 2024 13:21 UTC

Retro Guy wrote:

> Stefan Schmitz wrote:

>>> How does this look? I did some testing and the depth (number of '>>') in
>>> quoted blank lines is maintained:
>>>
>>> -------------------

>>> REPLY to depth TWO article
>>>
>>> TEST 2
>>> -----------------
>>
>> Have you entered manually a blank line after "Line 8" and "test"? If
>> not, there is one quoted blank line too much at the end of each quoting.
>
> Thank you. I'll continue to work on this. I have removed the last blank
> line being quoted, but still seeing it on some articles. Also with or
> without sig makes a difference.
>
> I will continue on this, thank you for the feedback!

I think I have it now! I will apply to www.novabbs.org (not .com yet)
for further testing.

--
Retro Guy

rocksolid / Rocksolid Nodes Help / Re: empty and one-word lines in quoting

1

rocksolid light 0.9.152
clearnet tor